Tea kettles are important kitchen appliances when it comes to tea brewing and are often more versatile that you may think. Tea kettles are efficient in tea making and may also be employed in heating water for other kitchen uses such as for making noodle cup, instant coffee, chocolate and other hot beverages. Tea kettles are made in three basic types: electric tea kettles, stove top tea kettles (the traditional types) and the automatic tea brewer (which is a new type in the market). All these types of tea kettle are designed to make tea and heat water and their only differences comes in how they operate. The following is a review of each of these three types of the tea kettles.
Stove Top Type Tea Kettles
This is the oldest type of tea kettle. It is also the most common tea kettle you can find on the market. It is also the least expensive of the three types. The stove top tea kettle is usually made of different kinds of materials such as glass, ceramic, cast iron, stainless steel and copper among others. This is because each one of us has his or her on preferences and the wide variety of materials ensures that you get what you like.
The stove top tea kettle is used to prepare tea directly on a gas or electric stove top. Usually all you have to do is place the kettle on top of a heater and it will quickly boil the water inside. The kettles are fitted with spouts and handles to help you easily pour your hot water into a cup or a different container. You can use your stove top tea kettle to directly brew your tea or you can boil the water and then use individual tea bags.
Stove top tea kettles appeal to most people because of their simplicity. They are also fitted with a number of other features that makes them much popular. For example the kettle whistles to warn you when the water is boiling. This is an excellent feature especially when you don’t want to be on guard as the water heats up. Some stove top tea kettles are made with a tea infuser which makes it easy to brew your tea. This eliminates the problem of having to buy a tea infuser separately.
- Their design is attractive and are easy to use.
- They cost less than other types of tea kettles.
- They functions without electricity and therefore can be used any where. /
- They are simple in structure and therefore remarkably durable.
- They are simple to clean and rinse between uses.
- They are much smaller than the other types and therefore ideal for cramped or small kitchens.
- They take more time to boil water (about twice as long as electric kettles).
- They don’t come with an automatic shut-off feature which means that water may boil over if left unattended.
- The whistling noise produced when water boils may be too loud for some people (may disturb neighbors and roommates).
Revere 2-1/3-Quart Whistling Stove Top Tea Kettle
A perfect example of a stove top Tea kettle you should consider buying in the Revere 2-1/3-Quart Whistling stove top tea kettle. This kind of a tea kettle is made with a copper bottom which increases head conductive and thus making it efficient. It is safe to use and is made of high quality materials and thus very durable.
Electric Tea Kettle
This is the second most common type of tea kettle in the market. It uses electricity and heats up much faster than the stove top tea kettle. In fact it just takes about 4 to 5 minutes to boil water for your tea.
An electric tea kettle is similar to a stove top tea kettles in a number of ways except that it produces its own heat. It is build with an electrical heating element either as one unit or on a separate base that uses electricity to produce heat.
Electric tea kettles like epica 6-temperature variable stainless steel cordless electric kettle also comes with several other important features such as special tea infusers that helps make the process of tea brewing much simple. Majority of electric tea kettles came equipped with water gauges and marks for the minimum water for safe operation. They may also be fitted with the automatic shut off feature that enables safe operation when there isn’t enough water in the kettle.
With multiple temperature settings this tea kettle can also be applied to other functions that require water heating at a give temperature. They can thus be used to boil water for a cup of hot chocolate, instant coffee or even noodles. They are also great for preparing different types of tea and some have a keep warm feature which means that you can take you tea after some times without having to reheat your tea kettle.
Electric tea kettles like epica kettle are also made with wide spouts that make the work of pouring hot tea into a mug and refilling the kettle much easier. They also have insulated walls that ensured that the kettle does not burn you when in use. Most are also fitted with filters that have the ability to filter out minerals and ensure that your kettle is not clogged.
- They have in built hard water filters which make cleaning them much easier.
- They are easy to use; you only have to switch on a button.
- They save much time by heating up water faster than stove top tea kettles.
- They have temperature control feature which makes brewing different types of tea much easy.
- They automatically shut off when water gets below a given level; this is an excellent safety feature that stove top tea kettles do not have.
- They have a smaller range of designs than the stove top kettles and thus limit your scope of choices.
- They rely on electricity and cannot be used where these is no electricity. This limits they uses.
- Some electric tea kettles are harder to care for especially those composed of a separate heating panel as you have track and care of each component separately.
- Some are made with plastic and glass parts that make them more delicate as these parts are prone to breakages.
- Some electric tea kettles do not have a beeper or any other way of informing you when your tea is ready.
Breville BKE820XL Variable-Temperature 1.8-Liter Kettle
This is an excellent electric tea kettle that is made of stainless steel and has a capacity of up to 8 cups. It is a cordless model that has easy to use temperature settings and thus can easily be used to prepare different kinds of tea. It is fast and delivers high quality tea.
Automatic Tea Brewer
These are relatively new kinds of tea kettle. They are high tech kitchen appliances that are geared towards making tea brewing easy for everyone. They are built with the capability to intelligently make any type of special tea such as white tea, or green tea without much input from you.
The automatic tea brewer once set brings the water to the specific temperature for preparing a given specific tea infuses the given tea at that ideal temperature and steep the tea leaves for the exact amount of time required to prepare the given tea. This kind of tea maker also has other excellent features such as a beeping sound to alert you when your tea is ready and a keep warm feature that ensures that your tea remains warm for a long time.
- It is automatic and therefore excellent if you don’t have the time to stick around brewing tea.
- It is much easier and safer to use.
- Have many features that make your tea brewing experience awesome.
- Is fast and produces quality tea.
- They are more expensive than other types of tea kettles.
- Has more parts and therefore much harder to take care of.
- Is more delicate than all other types of tea kettles.
Breville BTM800XL One-Touch Tea Maker
This is one of the best automatic tea brewers. To automatically lowers and lifts tea basket into and out of the jag. It has several preset special tea features that enables you make any kind of tea at specific tea strength even when you are an armature at tea brewing. If you get this products then tea brewing is reduces to just selecting the preset settings and providing the ingredients.
All types of tea kettle are designed and built to heat water to a desired temperature for the specific type of tea you want. Each of the electric tea kettle, stove top tea kettle and automatic tea brewers have advantages and disadvantages. You should therefore consider each tea kettle you want to buy individually so that you can have the cattle that best suits your needs. Best on your preferences; go for a type of a kettle that has all the basic features to prepare the kind of tea you love.